Battle resigns from Meigs City Council
Published 1:14 pm Tuesday, July 18, 2017
MEIGS — A Meigs City Council member resigned Monday night — for the second time.
Stephanie Battle issued her resignation letter to council on June 29.
The city council voted to accept the resignation at the monthly council meeting. Council member Jimmy Layton abstained from voting.
“I thank the citizens of Meigs for voting me into office and supporting me along the way,” Battle said in her resignation letter. “It’s time for a change for the betterment of the city and citizens of Meigs. I pray it’s soon.”
City attorney Tom Lehman said the council could appoint a new member by majority vote to fill the remainder of Battle’s term, which ends in December. Lehman also said the council could leave the seat vacant until the general election in the fall.
“That’s your prerogative,” he said.
Battle previously issued a resignation back in December 2016 but rescinded her resignation at the January council meeting.
Battle’s remaining term is one of three council seats up in the November general election. Meigs Mayor Cheryl Walters’ term also ends in December. Other seats up for election are those held by Lizzie Battle and Dorothy Wimes.
Qualifying for Meigs City Council is Aug. 21-25.
Reporter Jordan Barela can be reached at (229) 226-2400, ext. 1826.